Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal were detained on Wednesday after they tried to meet the relatives of ex-jawan who committed suicide.

his demands on One Rank One Pension (OROP) were not met. Opposition rushed to meet Grewal’s bereaved family, lashing out at the BJP government for not fulfilling their promises over OROP.

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi were detained after they tried to meet the grieving family of Ram Kishan Grewal, who ended his life on Tuesday evening. Both Kejriwal and Gandhi were later released.
“The central government is intent on goondagardi. I am the Chief Minister of Delhi. An ex-serviceman has committed suicide. Is it not my duty to meet his family?” asked Kejrwal.


Kejriwal refused to leave RK Puram police station even after he was released. Rahul Gandhi blamed the Narendra Modi government for the situation. He condemned the detention of the deceased jawan’s kin. Gandhi was detained twice during the day.

It was the most difficult day for the family but they were detained by the police for the entire day. I tried to meet the family but all four gates of the (Ram Manohar Lohia) hospital were closed,” Gandhi said. He further added that the government should apologise to the family.

I went to meet the family, not to stage a dharna. What’s wrong with that? What kind of system is this, Modiji,” Sisodia asked, targeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia was also detained today morning when he went to visit the grieving family. He was released only by the evening.

I went to meet the family, not to stage a dharna. What’s wrong with that? What kind of system is this, Modiji? ” asked Sisodia.


At around noon Manish Sisodia visited the family in Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital. Just ten minutes into their conversation, Sisodia was put into preventive detention by the Delhi Police. Later in the evening he was released.

At 3 PM, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi was not even allowed to enter the RML premises, with cops citing ‘law and order’ issues as their reason. Rahul Gandhi was put into detention, and Subedar Grewal’s sons were taken as well.
“You are arresting a martyr’s son in India? Are you not ashamed of yourself? What kind of work are you doing here? This man has lost his son and you are arresting the deceased’s father and brother?” asked Rahul Gandhi.

At 4PM, after his body was taken to Lady Hardinge Hospital for post mortem, Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal arrived and was not allowed by Delhi Police to enter.

“What sort of hooliganism is this, I just want to pay my respects to the man who served our country. I am an elected representative in Delhi, I should be allowed to meet them”, said Delhi CM.

Kejriwal stood outside the barricaded hospital for two-and-a-half hours, refusing to move till he was given permission to enter. “I am not carrying arms, it is just me who wants to enter, why can’t I go?”, said Kejriwal on the phone to Delhi Police Commissioner.
He was also joined by Transport Minister Gopal Rai. The Delhi CM was later detained and taken to RK Puram Police Station.

And as politicians flock to meet Grewal’s kin, his son says he is still reeling from the shock. In a telephonic conversation with his son he said, “My father was a strong man, he had been fighting for the rights of men who served this country. I just want justice for him.”

On being detained by the police he said, “I have been kept in the Connaught Place Police Station, they want us to stay out of the limelight”

Grewal’s friends also ex-army men said, “We had fought this together for so long, but despite promises they had not payed us according to the 6th and 7th pay Commission. After he didn’t get a meeting with the Defence Minster, he took poison in Jawahar Park. We had no idea.”

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has said that he was saddened by the death of Subedar Grewal. He said, “I express my heartfelt condolences. I have asked for officials to provide me details.”

According to reports, Grewal had written a letter to Parrikar on October 31 but committed suicide the next day. Parrikar said that he did not receive any letter. The defence ministry has asked the MoD officials to investigate the matter.

Upon further inquiry on the issue, defence ministry has found that the soldier was supposed to get Rs 28,000 pension but was getting only Rs 23000 due to wrong calculation by bank.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here